by Tim Brown, Freedom OutPost:
The House Oversight Committee voted to authorize a subpoena for a former adjudications manager in the White House Personnel Security Office to testify behind closed doors as part of an investigation into the security clearance process of the Trump administration.
Prior to the hearing on Tuesday, Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) claimed to have received a letter that alleged national security concerns that 25 officials had received security clearances “improperly.” The allegations by the whistleblower claim that those 25 people were denied security clearance by the White House Personnel Security Office only to have those overturned by the White House.
Jennie Taer reports:
Tricia Newbold, who was the adjudications manager in the White House Personnel Security Office told Cummings and a bipartisan staff that her office had issued 25 denials of security clearances that have been overturned by the White House.
However, the Republican staff on the committee responded to both Cummings and Newbold. The members complained that Cummings “cherrypicked” partisan information and didn’t not give ample opportunity for Republican members to respond to Newbold.
In the rebuttal letter, Republican staff stated:
- Ms. Newbold generally focused her testimony on her concerns about Carl Kline, who served as OSCO’s Director of Personnel Security (and Ms. Newbold’s manager) until June 2018. Kline left the White House in January 2019.
- Ms. Newbold’s primary concern with Kline was that he disagreed with her adjudication determinations in 25 cases, granting favorable adjudications when Ms. Newbold had recommended unfavorable outcomes.
- Ms. Newbold also lodged complaints about the office’s environment—ranging from how office files are stored, to the manner in which employees were required to scan documents into emails, to the physical position of aKline’s computer monitor on the desk inside of his office.
• Ms. Newbold testified that OSCO has been plagued by poor management during the majority of her 18-year tenure as an employee. She acknowledged, however, that the Trump Administration has implemented improvements to the office.
According to Cummings letter, Newbold’s concerns were serious and need further investigation.
- Why whistleblower came forward: “I would not be doing a service to myself, my country, or my children if I sat back knowing that the issues that we have could impact national security.”
- The impact to national security: Security clearance applications for White House officials “were not always adjudicated in the best interest of national security.”
- White House retaliation: “I’m terrified of going back. I know that this will not be perceived in favor of my intentions, which is to bring back the integrity of the office.”
- Congress needs to act now: “this is my last hope to really bring the integrity back into our office.”
Now, if this is, in fact, going on, it is a serious concern. After all, people wondered how in the world domestic terrorists Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn made it in the White House during the usurpers stay in the People’s House.
However, it was New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who simply had to chime in with one of the most silly statements she could make.
“Every day that we go on without getting to the bottom of this matter is a day that we are putting hundreds if not potentially thousands of Americans at risk. I mean, really, what is next, putting nuclear codes in Instagram DMs?!? This is ridiculous.” said Ocasio Cortez.
.@RepAOC @AOC: “Every day that we go on without getting to the bottom of this matter is a day that we are putting hundreds if not potentially thousands of Americans at risk. I mean, really, what is next, putting nuclear codes in Instagram DMs?!? This is ridiculous.” pic.twitter.com/EkTPWbwIn4
— CSPAN (@cspan) 2 April 2019
Yeah, that’s not exactly the same thing and to be honest, unless someone had the particular security clearance, those codes would be meaningless anyway. However, it’s not quite the same thing, but if there is an undermining of the security process, then that does need to be looked at.
The White House has referred to the security clearance investigation as “dangerous” and “shameful” and more than likely, they are probably correct, given the fact that the Democrat Party has been absolutely rabid to catch President Trump in anything at all in order to start impeachment proceedings against him. This White House has been under investigation for two years with investigators having absolutely nothing to show for their investigation into alleged Russian collusion, and failing to arrest the actual colluders with Russia in the Obama administration.