by Michelle Simmons, Natural News:
Experiencing knee pain? Ditch harmful drug pain relievers and use natural pain relievers instead. A study published in the journal Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice has found that black cumin oil is a safe and effective natural treatment for knee pain.
In the study, researchers from Selçuk University and Eski?ehir Osmangazi University in Turkey assessed the analgesic effect of black cumin oil on older people living with knee pain. They recruited 60 participants experiencing knee pain for the study. The participants were randomly divided into two groups: the treatment group and the control group. Participants in the control group continued their routine prescription for knee pain, while the treatment group applied black cumin oil to their knees thrice a week for a period of one month. The researchers compared the severity of knee pain of the participants from the first day of the study to the 30th day.
Based on the results of the study, the application of black cumin oil on the knees significantly reduced the severity of pain of the treatment group. This led the researchers to conclude that black cumin oil possesses pain relieving properties that are effective in treating knee pain among the elderly.
The many benefits of black cumin oil
Black cumin oil, or black seed oil, is an oil extracted from the seeds of black cumin (Nigella sativa), a plant native to south and southwest Asia. (Related: Black cumin: The secret miracle heal-all remedy.)
This oil offers many health benefits. Here are some of them:
- Boosts immunity: Black cumin oil is said to improve immune function. You can get this benefit by adding black cumin oil to curries and other dishes.
- Regulates cholesterol levels: Black cumin oil contains good fats that are efficient at increasing good cholesterol levels while decreasing bad cholesterol. These lower blood pressure, improve fat metabolism, and cut the risk of health problems like atherosclerosis, a condition where the fat-based plaques build up in the bloodstream reduces blood flow and harms the cardiovascular system.
- Fights bacteria and infections: Black cumin oil contains antibacterial and anti-fungal agents. Although it won’t cure any infections, consuming black cumin oil on a regular basis may help protect against infections and keep you healthy.
- Reduces inflammation: Black cumin oil contains a phytochemical called thymoquinone, which can enhance the body’s inflammation-suppressing responses when applied to the skin or consumed as a food. Joint problems and other body aches and pains caused by inflammation can be treated with black cumin oil.
- Cuts cancer risk: Thymoquinone and the antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties of black cumin oil also help lower the risk of cancer by promoting a healthy internal environment, reducing the possibility of cell damage, and reducing the risk of precursor illnesses that might harm the immune system.
- Enhances cognition: Black cumin oil can inhibit acetylcholinesterase (AchE), an enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine in the body. Acetylcholine is one of the most essential compounds produced in the body. It plays an important role in memory and brain function and improves power output in athletes. It can also prevent brain and neurological problems, including Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Keeps the liver healthy: Research suggests that black cumin oil is one of the plant-based oils that can be used to support the liver health and function.
- Prevents diabetes: Black cumin oil is more effective in preventing diabetes than other healthy oils because it also improves the functioning of the pancreas, reduces blood sugar markers, and improves the concentration and sensitivity to insulin.
- Supports skin health: Black cumin oil enhances the regulation of melanin, which is an essential biological compound needed in superficial tissues. It can also improve skin dryness and eczema.