by Matt Agorist, The Free Thought Project:
New York, NY — Last year, for the first time since that fateful September morning 16 years ago, families of victims of the 9/11 terror attacks used a new law to go after Saudi Arabia in lawsuits for their role in the attacks. After evidence was revealed during the lawsuit showing the Saudi Arabian embassy in Washington may have funded a “dry run” for the hijackings carried out by two Saudi employees, Saudi Arabia went into panic mode. In response, Saudi Arabia quickly attempted to use their pull inside the United States to have the lawsuits thrown out. However, this attempt has now failed.
According to Reuters, “U.S. District Judge George Daniels in Manhattan said the plaintiffs’ allegations “narrowly articulate a reasonable basis” for him to assert jurisdiction over Saudi Arabia under the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA), a 2016 federal law.”
Despite Barack Obama’s attempt to deny recourse to the victims of 9/11 by vetoing JASTA, the Senate quickly answered back with a near-unanimous override, thus making it law. The landmark decision by the Senate became the first and only override of the Obama presidency.
According to Reuters, “Daniels said the plaintiffs could try to prove that Saudi Arabia was liable for the alleged activities of Fahad al Thumairy, an imam at the King Fahad Mosque in Culver City, California, and Omar al Bayoumi, said to be an intelligence officer. They were accused of helping two hijackers acclimate themselves to the United States, and begin preparing for the attacks.”
Naturally, lawyers for Saudi Arabia are denying all allegations and are demanding that the lawsuits be dismissed immediately. According to the Saudi newspaper Okaz, in January of this year, the government of Saudi Arabia called on a US federal judge to immediately reject the lawsuit. Because of the decision this week, that will not happen.
James Kreindler, a lawyer for many of the plaintiffs, said he was “delighted” the case can proceed, according to Reuters.
“We have been pressing to proceed with the case and conduct discovery from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, so that the full story can come to light, and expose the Saudi role in the 9/11 attacks,” he said in a phone interview.
As TFTP has previously reported, thanks to the release of the 28 pages, Americans and the rest of the world now know that Saudi Arabia played a significant role in the September 11th attacks. Also, thanks to the release of 28 pages, we know that the US government was complicit in covering up Saudi Arabia’s role in the attacks.
Even the severely flawed and biased “9/11 Commission Report” did not did not “exclude the likelihood that charities with significant Saudi government sponsorship diverted funds to Al-Qaeda.”
For a decade and a half, Presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush kept secret the alleged role Saudi Arabia played in the September 11 attacks on America. Becuase of the cozy relationship the US has with the terrorist nation—which Trump is complicit in maintaining—special interests within the government have chosen to protect their Saudi friends instead of telling Americans the truth about what happened that fateful day.