by Mark O’Byrne, Gold Core:
– Buy gold near $1,200 “as insurance” – UBS Wealth
– UBS believe investors should take advantage of gold’s first monthly decline
– “We like the insurance qualities for gold” on uncertainty
– Strong demand, weak output and low dollar to support
– Warning as North Korea tests intercontinental ballistic missile
– Launch of ICBCM is a “new escalation of the threat” and revives geo-political risks
– Syria, Qatar, Saudi, Israel, Iran risks mean Middle East remains powder keg
– Academic research points to gold’s role as a safe haven
– Gold as Safe Haven a must read for investors
Yesterday North Korea sent the US a ‘package of gifts’ for Independence Day.
Unsurprisingly the successfully tested and launched intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) was not well received. US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called the move a “new escalation of the threat” to the U.S. and its allies and that “global action is required to stop a global threat.”
As the US and South Korea began military exercises in response to North Korea’s gift giving ceremony, safe haven assets rose and gold made a small rebound in the face of these escalating geopolitical concerns. Gold tends to rise on various uncertainties – whether financial, economic or geopolitical.
UBS Group AG’s wealth management unit picked up on this and said such uncertainties made a case to buy gold for its insurance qualities as reported by Bloomberg and others.
UBS Group’s comments will not come as a surprise to those who buy gold bullion as they believe in gold for it’s insurance and safe haven qualities. This ‘gut instinct’ and the lessons of history have recently been bolstered by much independent academic research (see below).
Research by academics and independent asset allocation experts alike is increasingly showing gold’s insurance and safe haven qualities. In this increasingly uncertain world, these qualities are more important than ever.